- Our County
- Elected Officials
- Marriage License
Marriage License Requirements
The following is required at the time a couple applies for a marriage license:
- Both interested parties must be present. Both applicants must appear in person. If an applicant is unable to appear in person, authorization to issue the marriage license must be provided by a District Judge.
- Marriage licenses must be purchased before the ceremony. The license is valid for a ceremony taking place anywhere within the State of New Mexico. Marriages may only be performed in the State of New Mexico. The signed license must be returned to the County Clerk’s Office within 90 days of the ceremony.
- Must complete a Marriage Application Information Form in the County Clerk’s Office.
- Must pay a $25 fee at the time of application. No exceptions. We accept cash, check, credit/debit card (American Express not accepted).
- Proof of age and identity is required. Proof of age and identity is normally satisfied with a government-issued photo ID.
Applicants 16 or 17 Years Old
In addition to the general requirements, you must have:
- An original or certified copy of your birth certificate.
- The written consent of each living parent listed on the birth certificate. Written consent may be provided in person at the Clerk’s Office or through a notarized statement. If a parent is deceased, a certified copy of the death certificate is required. If a parent is not deceased and is unable or unwilling to provide written consent, authorization to issue the marriage license must be provided by a District Judge.
Applicants Under 16 Years of Age
Marriages of persons fewer than 16 years of age are only permitted when there is a pregnancy and when a Children’s or Family Court Judge has authorized the marriage.