Voter Registration Eligibility Requirements
- A resident of New Mexico
- A citizen of the United States
- Not legally declared mentally incapacitated
- Not a convicted felon, or a felon who has completed all the terms and conditions of sentencing
- 18 years or older at the time of General Election
To look up your current registration, find upcoming elections and polling places you may visit the Secretary of State’s Website.
Where to Register/Update Your Registration
- You may register to vote online at the Secretary of States website; if you have either a current or expired New Mexico State I.D. or Driver's License
- The New Mexico Certificate of Registration Form ("New Mexico Form") is available at any county clerk’s office, the Office of the Secretary of State, or many state agencies that serve specific clients at those offices such as motor vehicle offices (Section 1-4-51, 1-4-52, NMSA 1978) and offices offering public assistance which include libraries and universities. A voter may request the New Mexico form by mail, telephone or in person. The New Mexico form is on cardstock, is a permanent record and It may not be duplicated.
- To Request a paper form:
- Call (505)866-2080 and request that a voter registration application be mailed to your residential or mailing address,
- Send a letter to:
Valencia County Clerk’s Office
Bureau of Elections
P.O. Box 969
Los Lunas, NM 87031
- Email: email@example.com
- The National Voter Registration Form ("National Form") is available online at U.S Election Assistance Commission. This form may be downloaded and/or duplicated by any voter or organization.
- Individuals or groups conducting voter registration drives may use Third Party Registration Forms or the National Form. Once a form is filled out, individuals or groups cannot copy, convey or use the date of birth or social security number information on the form (Section 1-4-5 (E), NMSA 1978). Organizations employing registration agents or using volunteer registration agents shall deliver a certificate of registration to the Secretary of State or the county clerk within 48 hours. A person who willfully violates the provisions of this section is guilty of a petty misdemeanor and shall have his third-party registration agent status revoked (Section 1-4-49 (D), NMSA 1978). The Secretary of State will send completed forms to the appropriate county clerk.
Voter registration must be completed 28 days prior to the election that it applies.
First Time Registrants
If you are registering for the first time in New Mexico and you submit the registration form by mail, then you must submit with the form a copy of (1) a current and valid photo identification; or (2) a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, student identification card or other government document, including identification issued by an Indian nation, tribe or pueblo that shows your name and current address.
If you do not submit one of these forms of identification with your mailed-in, first time registration, then you will be required to present one of the forms of identification when voting in person or absentee.
Change of Information
If you change your name or move you must fill out a new voter registration form and submit it to your local County Clerk’s Office or the Office of the Secretary of State. You must also fill out a new form if you want to change your party affiliation.